Thursday, August 14, 2008

iLove Macintosh



Today was pretty slow.. I thought the day will just pass by without any excitement going on. HAH! 
right after my power nap, about 2pm or so. I turned on my laptop and was stunned of what I saw on my screen.
If you look closer of the photo attached, there is this fine blue-ish vertical line on the right hand corner of the screen. IT SHOULDN'T be there. It's manifestation is what I call catastrophic and time for me to summon the powers of APPLECARE.

I immediately pulled my suitcase out and desperately searched for my applecare plan which I stashed together with other important documents I brought back from the US. To my shock, my applecare is not in there! I can feel the cold sweat breaking out of my forehead. Panic is slowly creeping in my system. I hurriedly looked for my computer bag. Maybe the certificate is in there. I rushed and opened my closet and reached for the bag. Thank goodness! it's there! my applecare certificate is inside. folded and stashed into one of the pockets.

I scanned the certificate.....  APPLECARE VALIDITY: August 14, 2008

WIthout thinking, I headed for the shower and cooled myself off from all of what is happening. 

Right after, I sat in front of my laptop still wet from the shower and made a mental monologue. 

"You are totally fucked! Apple Store is in Makati... there is no way you can make it"

Then, I remembered, there is an APPLE Store right near where I live. ALABANG TOWN CENTER!

I called ATC Concierge and asked for the store's phone number. Minutes later, I am on the phone with a Sales Associate named, David. He told me to bring the laptop and they will run a diagnostics and see what the problem is.

I dashed for my keys and out I went.

Soon as I walked in the store, a familiar face greeted me with a smile. I said, Gail....? is that you. 

FYI, Gail was this super super woman who helped me with my previous dilemma with the same laptop. About a year and half ago. I had my laptop serviced in Makati Mac Center. They fixed the problem like replaced my fried motherboard in less than a week. BUT problems started piling up when they asked me to pick up my laptop. Upon close inspection, I saw there was a small speck on my screen. At first I thought it was booger or something. However, I gently ran my finger on it and it was not what I was thinking. IT WAS A DEEP SCRATCH! maybe some blunt object pricked it or however it happened but it was just there. 

I composed myself and told this young female sales associate about the problem. She was also stunned how that scratch ended up there. I asked her to immediately call her supervisor and she did. A few moments later, their female supervisor came out. It was Gail.

She quickly pacified me as I was really ready to raise hell and throw fire coming out of my nostrils at them. She promised me that they will take care of the problem asap. 

A week later, Makati Mac Center summed up the replacement on my macintosh.

1 motherboard
1 LCD (first installation - failure)
1 LCD (final installation - success)

If you are going to do the math on the replacements alone. It can easily sum up to a new 17" Macbook Pro.

Back at the store in Alabang. She greeted me and asked me when did I arrived. I answered back. In her head and the minute she saw me. She knows there is trouble again. Yes, she was right all along.

I told her about the problem and David, the sales associate I was talking to on the phone summed it all up.

Gail was really surprised but she acted quickly and was immediately on the phone talking to someone asking for a new LCD. She told me that everything will be fine and thank God for APPLECARE, which is expiring today. My ass is saved once again.

We exchanged a few stories here and there. Reminiscing the last macintosh ordeal that we had. But we just laughed about it. Thinking back, my laptop already cost....... $3000 + 1st batch of replacement, say, $2000 or more + $1000 for a new LCD. WOW! 

So, in about a week. I will have my new LCD installed. 

Thank God for APPLECARE. 
God bless MACINTOSH

otherwise, I will have at least P50,000 worth of a problem.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is totally cool. Windows should also come up with something like this. I guess it's time switch to Apple. Keep on rocking dude.

 

Blogabulousity Copyright © 2008 D'Black by Ipiet's Blogger Template