Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Epicurean Craving: Papaitan



For those who are not in the know, papaitan or pinapaitan is a tamarind and bile stew of tripes and innards of goat or ox. This is a popular dish among folks who loves drinking liquor, a typical "lasengero" fare if I may add.  Also, you can find a lot of this dish along highway pit stop eateries when you travel up north (Pangasinan, La Union, Ilocos Norte & Sur). 

My first encounter with this dish dates back when I was just about 6 or 7 years old. My dad and uncle went to the market in "their" hometown - Pangasinan while vacationing. Me, the ever gregarious boy, wanted to tag along with the grown ups even though I have no clue where they were heading. So I ended up in a wet market. 

THEN! amidst the sensory overload of the place. I decided not to join them and asked my dad if I can stay inside the car. He said, NO. Instead, they asked this small carinderia (canteen) if I can stay there and eat while they go buy stuff at the market. The shop lady, gladly said yes. 

Who could resist a cute little urchin like me?  harharhar

There were a lot of people walking in and out of the carinderia. All shapes and sizes. I was just amazed with all the food they were ordering. Until I got a whiff of this very peculiar smell and asked the shop lady where its coming from. She gladly told me that it's from the papaitan. 

I asked if it's any good and she replied with a yes. In a blink of an eye, she was already scooping out this stew and offered me to taste it. I looked at it for a second, checked out the contents which was something that I have never seen being served on our dining table. I had a few sips, and that totally changed my life. 

My dad came back for me and was surprised to see that I was eating papaitan. I may have finished at least 3 bowls of it. I was really loving the taste, like there is no tomorrow.

Back to the present day.

I woke up with a huge craving for papaitan. Looked at the clock and it was already 11am and lunch is just around the corner. Picked up the keys and asked Winlove if he wanted to grab something to eat before we go find TSA locks for the luggage. He said yes and off we went.

Inside the car, I told him that I am craving for papaitan. He said, NO WAY. 
If there is anything that he would not eat. It's that - papaitan. The mere mention of it can make him cringe. Well, I don't blame him and a lot of people who share the same disgust with this stew. Can you imagine slurping soup with bile? Har har har, so go figure.

I thought of the mall food court but theirs is not that good plus the fact that it's expensive. Then I thought of this place where I had my car washed a couple of times. There is a small carinderia right next to it and serve a knock-out papaitan. Parked the car and asked Winlove if he would reconsider. His answer was a definite, NO.

Stepped out the car and left him inside. Entered the carinderia and ordered a cup of rice, a bowl of papaitan and a glass of water.

Cost of lunch: P40 (US$.85)
Hepatitis shot: P2500 (US$ 52.00)

Experience: PRICELESS







Maybe I can post the recipe next time =)

0 comments:

 

Blogabulousity Copyright © 2008 D'Black by Ipiet's Blogger Template