Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jet 1.20.2008


Yesterday was quite a sad day for me. I lost my favorite pet pigeon named Jet.
I acquired him from two kids (Jet & Jonard) selling pigeon at a local pet market who insisted that I take the pair for just P300. At first, I was very adamant in saying no, simply because I already have too many pigeons but eventually shrugged it off and accepted it. For almost 7 months that passed, this pair quickly became my favorite. Jet and Jona were simply good looking and awesome flyers. Every time I let them off for a training toss, it's always these two who comes home first.

Horror came when I checked on them last Sunday morning. All of the other pigeons were already outside of the loft and doing their business. When I went inside to have a look, I saw Jet quietly sitting inside their nesting box. I took him out to see what's wrong. I practically jump out of my skin when I saw that underneath Jet's feathers around the neck, there is a very deep wound that looked like its been bitten off. I immediately looked around if there are any holes that a rat may have used to enter and to my surprise, there is a huge opening at one of the bottom corner of the loft.

I suddenly felt sad. Knowingly that Jet will not make it through for the next couple of days. I even thought of taking his life to end his pain from the attack but I just simply can't do it. Not to my favorite pigeon. I put Jet back inside the nesting box and took out some meds to clean his wound. While carefully shaving off the feathers around his neck, I saw how deep the wound was. This made me feel resigned that Jet will be leaving me soon. 

After cleaning his wound, I sat on the deck to watching the other pigeons. My attention was drawn to Jona, Jet's mate and saw her hanging out with another male pigeon. This is quite strange since I know for a fact that pigeons are very loyal to their partners. After closely watching these two, I immediately know that Jona have found a new partner. 

I thought to myself, maybe Jet had told Jona that she will be better off to find a new partner from now on since he is not going to make it through the attack. So she did! and QUICK.

Days had passed since the attack, Jet had hold up and fought to live but the wound was really large and it will be quite impossible for him to survive. That morning when I cared for his wound, I saw Jet's eyes were teary and there was blood oozing out of his nose. I wiped it off with a piece of cotton, placed him back inside the nesting loft and gently stroked the top of his head and said my goodbye. I knew right away that it will be the last time I will see him alive and thanked him for the time he gave me joy when I will sit out on the deck and watch them fly. 

Around 4 o'clock in the afternoon, there came in a text message from Gelyn. It reads: "Kuya, wala na si jet" (Jet is gone)

I texted back and told her that I will be coming home soon.

The minute I arrived, I asked my brother to take off Jet's leg band and give it to me and the only way you can do that is to cut off the leg and slip it right out. Quite cruel if you may, but I just want to have something from Jet to make me remember him.

To Jet, I wish you peace.... go fly up in the sky and soar as high as you can. I will see you again someday at the foot of that Rainbow Bridge.

1 comments:

C. L. DeMedeiros on January 26, 2009 at 10:30 AM said...

my older brother
used to have pigeons
as pet
I never understand
how he was able to name one by one,
from my point of view
they all look the same
My older brother is autistic
now he's more into small birds.
ducks and chickens

 

Blogabulousity Copyright © 2008 D'Black by Ipiet's Blogger Template